Police are investigating the death of 19-year-old Rutgers University student Caitlyn Kovacs, who was pronounced dead in the hospital less than 20 minutes after friends carried her out of a frat house "in distress" at 3 a.m. on Sunday. The hospital thinks her death "may have been alcohol-related."
The Daily Targum, the student paper, reported that Kovacs "passed out" in the Delta Kappa Epsilon house. DKE headquarters says the chapter is cooperating with authorities. The Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office told NJ.com it did not intend to file charges related to the incident.
Kovacs was a sophomore majoring in animal sciences, who was "bubbly" and "happy" according to her friends. Rutgers has made grief counselors available to students in the wake of her death.
Part 1: Make the chart below on your own paper. Fill in the blanks with the correct answer (person, place, thing, or idea).
Part of Speech
Noun or Verb
What does it do? (Person, place, thing, idea)
Or (Shows Action)
Part 2: Stretch Question-Celebrate Writing
- Why do you think the girl was drinking enough to cause death?
- Create a question based on the above information that you your classmates can answer to deepen their understanding.
- What is the transferable vocabulary word #12 ?
- Explain how the transferable vocabulary can be used in another subject?
- Abandon: give up completely
- Abundant: Available in large quantities
Write down each transferable vocabulary word and write your own original sentence using that work. Next, tell me a class where you might see that work in your reading.